Skip to main content

Mama's Picture



This song was suggested by Tyler Mahan Coe, from the insanely wonderful podcast Cocaine & Rhinestones, a definitive look at the history of country music in the 20th century. 

Fiddlin' Frenchie Burke already had a reputation as one of the hottest fiddlers in country music in the mid 1970s when he decided to launch a solo career. He was known for Jimi Hendrix-like showmanship with his instrument, playing behind his back and while others held his bow. And although it never appeared on any of his albums he wrote one of the most show-stopping tunes of all time, although you've probably never heard of it until now and should probably be grateful for that.

I translated the lyrics from this YouTube version of the song.

My wife left me a long, long time ago
I was to become a dad that fall
I kept our wedding picture hanging all these years
In my house outside my room there in the hall

We can only assume here that his dog also died and his truck broke down. Actually I think we can safely also assume that a guy who has spent years obsessing over the one who got away to the point that he assures he sees her face every morning before even taking his first piss, well that guy is exactly the kind of guy you leave immediately after you become pregnant with his child.

In my favorite bar last night I met a girl
Who wanted to become a woman of the world
She didn't know the things to say and do
And maybe I could teach her everything I knew

I think we can see where this is heading. As soon as he realizes an underage girl is trying to pick him up, he should have let her down nice and easy and told the bartender to call the kid's parents. Obviously this is not what he does.

We drank and danced so much we lost all track of time
She held her warm, soft body much too close to mine
So many times she whispered, Mister help me please
Of a woman I once knew, she brought back memories

You realize you have a child out there somewhere, and right now a girl about that age is trying to get you to become her literal sex instructor, and she reminds you of the mother of that lost child, what do you do? If your answer is not, "Stop, drop, and roll as far away as fast as I can," then please don't write any songs in the last moments of your life about what you have just done.

I'm growing weaker and you ask me why
I shot myself and want so much to die
If time allows me I'll try to explain
And in my place I know you'd feel the same

Well, too late for that now, I guess.

I woke up this morning finding she had left my arms
Her lifeless body I found in the hall
A short note read, "May God forgive what we have done."
"That's my mama's picture hanging on the wall."
"Looks like I've met dear old daddy after all."

Please don't make me explain that. Unless your father is also your grandfather, you should have enough sense to figure it out yourself.

I'm not even sure if a double-suicide-underage-incest-story-ballad is a bad idea, or the best idea ever. I'm not sure if these lyrics are horrendous or genius. I'm not sure why Tyler wanted to do this shit to any of us. Thanks a lot, dude!


Comments

  1. Ouch. Yeah. Not easy that one! Creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still be a pretty decent Broadway musical production, though. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One In A Million

Pictured: Alternate Universe Axl Rose. The reason that these lyrics are bad are not the reasons usually given. There are certainly a number of terms used that fall far below acceptable cultural sensitivity levels, even for the time that it was released, and those issues have only gotten worse with age. Yet despite the fact that Axl uses derogatory words that he definitely should not have, the song itself is not racist, homophobic, misogynist or xenophobic in the sense that it validates or glorifies those bigotries. The song's narrator is a literary fabrication, a character, and not one we are meant to think good things about. Rather than tearing this apart by individual lines or sections, I am going to print the lyrics below and then discuss them at the end. Guess I needed some time to get away I needed some peace of mind Some peace of mind that'll stay So I thumbed it down to sixth in L.A. Maybe a Greyhound could be my way Police and niggers, that's right Get outta my way

Holy Diver

  Lyridiculous is not just a place for me to throw shade on songs or artists I do not like. That might sometimes be the case, but for the most part, I wouldn't even realize a song's lyrics were sketchy unless I had allowed myself to listen to it countless times. In this case I am a fan of the song and the artist. Holy Diver is a total banger, and I will straight up shit in your fanny pack if you so much as suggest Dio isn't a fugkn rock god. But that being said, what the fugk is this song even about? Well over at Songfacts I learned that it is some kind of Jesus science fiction thing . Like, after The Savior died he went to another planet to save them, too, and now he is about to head off to the next one, but they really don't want him to go. And somehow there are big cats involved. Ronnie was a recovering former Catholic, so I am sure this parody of his childhood religion made sense in some personal way that I will probably never understand, unless a hologram containin