Skip to main content

Rockin' Robin



I can recall being about four or five years old and watching my mom and younger brother dance around the house singing this song. It was infuriating. I pleaded with them to stop. Didn't they realize how fugkn dumb this song is? Why would they be doing this when there was good music in the house to listen to? You see, you don't have to be more than four or five years old to realize a song comparing a bird singing to rock and roll music makes Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star sound like Einsteinian Death Metal.

I have already written about birds and cats in bad lyrics, and I think I am starting to see a very disturbing pattern emerge.

Tweedle-lee-dee-dee-dee, tweedle-lee-dee-dee
Tweet.tweet.tweet.tweet

This is never okay. Scat as a vocal style is bad enough as it is, but when you mix that with sounds from the animal kingdom you better be in The Wiggles, otherwise you just immediately lost all rock credibility forever.

He rocks in the tree tops all day long
Hoppin' and a-boppin' and a-singing his song

Not much to unpack here. These lyrics are not even good enough for a direct insult.

All the little birds on Jaybird Street
Love to hear the robin go tweet tweet tweet

Okay, so this robin isn't just rockin', this robin is a local rock star. I guess all the other birds forgot that they could do the exact same thing themselves, and it was completely unnecessary to travel any distance at all just to go feed this asshole bird's ego.

Rockin' robin.tweet.tweet.tweet
Rockin' robin.tweet, tweedle-lee-dee
Blow rockin' robin
'Cause we're really gonna rock tonight

Blow would seem to refer to playing a brass or woodwind instrument, despite the fact that we have already been informed that this bird is singing. If you're going to write some trash this juvenile and idiotic, at least keep your fugkn story straight.

Every little swallow, every chick-a-dee
Every little bird in the tall oak tree
The wise old owl, the big black crow
Flappin' their wings singing go bird go

These birds need to shut the fugk up immediately. If you go to see a performance it is not your job to make noise, it is your job to listen. You can make noise between songs and afterwards, but not during. This is how you start an Avian Heckling Pandemic.

A pretty little raven at the bird-band stand
Taught him how to do the bop, it was grand
They started going steady and bless my soul
He out-bopped the buzzard and the oriole

This feels like the bird equivalent of dating your much older guitar instructor, which is NEVER a good idea. That's how you learn about herpes the hard way. This shit was already stretching a paper thin anthropomorphic metaphor too far, but now I am to believe there is an entire competitive circuit of bird's performing against one another to become the top bopper? No, I will not go there. Fugk you, Bobby Day, for using our imaginations against us in such a terribly stupid way.

If you are a lyricist and you ever think to yourself, "What this song really needs is some kind of animal..." - STOP YOURSELF RIGHT THERE. Go back to school and become a nursing assistant and do something useful for the world, because the last thing I need is another hack writer turning this goddamned website into a fugkn zoo.

LYRIC SOURCE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One In A Million

Pictured: Alternate Universe Axl Rose. The reason that these lyrics are bad are not the reasons usually given. There are certainly a number of terms used that fall far below acceptable cultural sensitivity levels, even for the time that it was released, and those issues have only gotten worse with age. Yet despite the fact that Axl uses derogatory words that he definitely should not have, the song itself is not racist, homophobic, misogynist or xenophobic in the sense that it validates or glorifies those bigotries. The song's narrator is a literary fabrication, a character, and not one we are meant to think good things about. Rather than tearing this apart by individual lines or sections, I am going to print the lyrics below and then discuss them at the end. Guess I needed some time to get away I needed some peace of mind Some peace of mind that'll stay So I thumbed it down to sixth in L.A. Maybe a Greyhound could be my way Police and niggers, that's right Get outta my way

Mama's Picture

This song was suggested by Tyler Mahan Coe , from the insanely wonderful podcast Cocaine & Rhinestones , a definitive look at the history of country music in the 20th century.  Fiddlin' Frenchie Burke already had a reputation as one of the hottest fiddlers in country music in the mid 1970s when he decided to launch a solo career . He was known for Jimi Hendrix-like showmanship with his instrument, playing behind his back and while others held his bow . And although it never appeared on any of his albums  he wrote one of the most show-stopping tunes of all time, although you've probably never heard of it until now and should probably be grateful for that. I translated the lyrics from this YouTube version of the song. My wife left me a long, long time ago I was to become a dad that fall I kept our wedding picture hanging all these years In my house outside my room there in the hall We can only assume here that his dog also died and his truck broke down. Actually I think we

Holy Diver

  Lyridiculous is not just a place for me to throw shade on songs or artists I do not like. That might sometimes be the case, but for the most part, I wouldn't even realize a song's lyrics were sketchy unless I had allowed myself to listen to it countless times. In this case I am a fan of the song and the artist. Holy Diver is a total banger, and I will straight up shit in your fanny pack if you so much as suggest Dio isn't a fugkn rock god. But that being said, what the fugk is this song even about? Well over at Songfacts I learned that it is some kind of Jesus science fiction thing . Like, after The Savior died he went to another planet to save them, too, and now he is about to head off to the next one, but they really don't want him to go. And somehow there are big cats involved. Ronnie was a recovering former Catholic, so I am sure this parody of his childhood religion made sense in some personal way that I will probably never understand, unless a hologram containin